Seeking Church Secretary
First Presbyterian Church is in the process of hiring a new church secretary. To apply, please read the job description, submit your online application and upload your resume. Upon receipt of all documents, you will receive an email indicating such and then will let you know if we would like to set up an interview. We appreciate your interest.
Job Description - Church Secretary
Reports to: Head of Staff
The church secretary is key person in our ministry. S/he is responsible for many of the administrative aspects involved in the effective running of First Presbyterian Church, to include the newsletters, bulletins, mailing lists, etc. This position also acts as a liaison with members of the congregation, the staff, and the community, both in person, on the phone and via e-mail. In addition, the person in this position plays a key role in demonstrating hospitality, creating an environment where people feel at home and welcome, making him/her a key person in our ministry. The position is for 28 hours per week, but additional hours may be required on occasion. Work hours are to be developed in cooperation with the Pastor and according to need, but will generally be Monday through Thursday. Annual vacation is awarded proportionate to hours worked and years of service (see Personnel Manual) and must be coordinated with and approved by the Head of Staff/Pastor.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a person of strong Christian faith, professional demeanor, flexible and able to respond to the needs of the church, which can change within short notice. S/he will be a self-starter with initiative, detail oriented, and work well with little or no supervision. S/he will help create a working environment where others feel welcome and valued.
The ideal candidate will have the necessary technical/functional expertise to complete the job in a timely and accurate manner, attention to detail, and the ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships with all members of the congregation and the community. A knowledge of or willingness to quickly learn Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher, and ACS (Church Software) is necessary.
The church secretary must be aware of all scheduled services and church events and have any necessary paperwork prepared in a timely and accurate manner. An ability to proofread and correctly construct written sentences is essential. The following is a guideline to be used:
- Provide clerical support to Pastor and staff
- Check voice mail and e-mail and handle as needed
- Open and/or distribute mail
- Record visitors in database; provide information to Pastor for follow-up
- Update mailing list
- Record worship and Sunday School attendance in database
- Record communion in database
- Complete Sunday bulletins and file one of each
- Submit proofed worship information to person preparing PowerPoint (bulletin, liturgy…)
- Enter Pastor’s sermons and bulletins in Pastor’s notebook
- Back up computer
- Prepare and send weekly e-gram
- Assemble, proofread and edit articles for church newsletter; provide to Pastor for approval; provide printed labels to and coordinate with newsletter mailing team (volunteers recruited by this position) and assist, as necessary, with the mailing
- Report copier use numbers as requested by the contractor
- Coordinate computer maintenance
- Compile and print Annual Congregational Report
- Working closely with the Clerk of Session and the Finance Secretary, compile and submit annual reports to middle and upper governing bodies of the Presbyterian Church
- Update Session and Deacon mailboxes and handbooks
- Prepare certificates and related documents; record in permanent record book and database: baptisms, weddings, funerals/deaths, confirmations, ordinations
- Provide support to Sunday School and Vacation Bible School and all committees as needed – such as mailings, providing information, etc.
- Provide necessary reports as requested by Peace River Presbytery
- Record and transmit phone tree messages using the Phone Tree system
- Transfers In/Out Members
- New Members/New Member packets
- Update & distribute phone directory and membership records, committee members, etc.
- Post/update bulletin boards and calendars
- Order and maintain supplies for office, worship, and Pastor
- As a member of the church staff team, be willing to cross-train and assist other staff members in their responsibilities as needed
- Any special projects requested
- All other duties as assigned by the Head of Staff/Pastor
Evaluations: Performance evaluation will be conducted annually during the month of hire by the Office Coordinator. The Personnel Committee will annually review the adequacy of compensation and make recommendations to the Session.